Monday, July 27, 2009

Soft Blocks

Here is one of my projects I made last christmas for my daughter and never posted, so since Christmas Season is just around the corner (if you are making all your gifts, christmas is just around the corner) here is an idea for a young child.

I 1/8 of a yard (4 in) of 4 in foam. 4in foam is like $50/yard which at first turned me off, but when you only buy 1/8 of a yard and use a 40% off coupon it only cost about $5 and I was able to get 6 4in cubes. It doesn't take much fabric to cover them so to save a little money I raided my mother-in-law's fabric scraps for some brightly colored textured fabric. I tried to get lots of different textures so the blocks could be used as a learning tool for my then 9 month old. To cut down on the sewing I cut a 4.25 in by 12.5in piece of fabric and 2-4.25in pieces of the same fabric then I sewed the pieces together in a cube shape leaving on seam undone stuffed my 4 in cube inside and hand sewed up the final seam.

1 comment:

Tawnya said...

That is a great idea Jes. Thanks!